Monday, May 18, 2015

Thing 28 Emerging Tech:


Most new technology is relevant to the school library. New technologies engage students and give them more options for completing assignments and furthering their personal and academic goals.  I  like the idea of students having personal learning environments and dashboards. I have a MS in instructional technology so I’m all about new technology.
 I hope to have a 3D printer for my students (soon) and to model app smashing ideas.  I have started to explore
Tellagami, and it looks very interesting.
 In one of the articles, they referred to the library as “the workspace of the future”. I really love this concept. I will be rethinking the future of the PHS library with this idea in my mind.
 The makers movement is a great novel idea for libraries. I have recently hosted a Makers faire and the students asked for more activities like we had at the faire. So every Monday I have tried to set up a Makers project on a small table for students that wish to get involved. It has been very well received.
 Technology trends to date have made it possible for students to access the library virtually. So the physical  space can be re thought as to offerings other than  the typical library resources.
 The challenge will be to work within NYS standards to re define the library.  Some important issues / trends on the horizon other than funding will be equitable access and digital literacy and citizenship.
These issues are also relevant to the community at large and the school community

No comments:

Post a Comment