Saturday, May 16, 2015

Thing 26 Advocacy


The video by Heidi was very informative. I have tried most of the same ideas in one way or another.  Unfortunately it's the same small group of teachers and students that see the value of the library.  

I have created screencasts using Jing, talking mascots, an awesome webpage and a makerspace.  I'm still not getting the message out because  I haven't shown student achievement in a clear and concise way. I have a bulletin board that says,"the road to life- long learning starts at the library." No comments yet from staff or students. My data wall only has checkouts by grades. i do have student work posted.

So my new elevator speech will have to focus on the schools mission and the improvement goals as Heidi mentioned. I also need more of a web presence such as twitter. Every chance I get I ask the school's public relations lady to post about the latest library projects , contests etc. to the school district website. My district is laying off all elementary LMS this year. Its about money and as they say what's mandatory.

Im going to spend the summer re thinking my elevator speech. Sometimes I wonder why we have to show our importance and why administrator cant already see it. i resent justifying my existence at times.

I will tailor my message to my school and community. ( my audience) I need the data and some personal stories to change the thinking in my district.

No comments:

Post a Comment