Monday, February 9, 2015

Thing # 23 Makerspaces


It took me a long time to read and review the different links for this posting.  I wanted to read as much information as possible on this topic.  I  have also spoken to people that have started and/or attended makers's faires.


I have a personal interest in this topic because for my annual performance review. I plan to create a makerspace in the high school library. I  started creating a makerspace in the PHS library in September. I have no budget for this initiative.


 My first step towards this adventure was to put out kinetic sand, popsicle sticks  and origami papers on tables throughout the library.  I tried to start small and cheap. Some teachers and friends have been donating legos.


My real intent is to have a STEM/STEAM makers' space.  I have a raspberry pi, 2 sunfounder kits and 2 arduinos. I haven't loaned these out yet because I'm learning to use them. 

I have tried to get a 3D printer through various grants.

A student is helping me make a take-a-part display of an old computer.

In April, I will be having a Maker's faire in the library. The different departments and content areas, ie  (social studies, math , art etc) are going to set up maker tables for students to browse and create.


This will be me official kick off event. I have students coming from local colleges to also share a skill.


We will start coding classes using Scratch soon.The classes will have to be before school .




3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on putting together a makers space event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Hope you'll share how the April event goes. You're off to an amazing start!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you would like to participate Rebecca you re welcome to come April 27, 2015

    ReplyDelete